Sunday 8 February 2009

Accident & Emergency

About 8:30 pm on Friday, I made my first trip to the emergency room with one of my children. Maddie decided to stick a shiny, green bead up her nose after I tucked her into bed. I tried but couldn't get it out, so I decided we better head to the A&E. After waiting to see a doctor for 45 minutes, the treatment only took 2 seconds. The doctor had me sit down and Maddie stand up in front of me. I had to plug her other nostril (so push down on it with my finger), and while doing so, blow into her mouth. The bead popped right out! Maddie grabbed the bead and threw it in her bag. I guess she wanted a souvenir. Unfortunately, I don't have any pretty pictures to post from the hospital. I'm just hoping that if something like this ever happens at your house, I can save you a trip to the A&E!

7 comments:

Henry Family said...

That's hilarious! What advice to you have for falling off of a trampoline? Ear infection? Allergy induced asthma?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...and man, I can't believe that our family cannot get enough of sticking things up our noses...I think that brings us to Andrew, me, Lainey, and now Maddie. We are the smart ones who can't possibly understand how something could get caught up our noses!!! HAHA, loved the story, and thanks for calling to tell me about it...Maddie is too funny!

Draper Elementary said...

Thanks for the tip. Let's hope we don't ever need it.

Vanalee said...

Why so many smart kids in this family try this is beyond me. I think we should ban everyone from telling stories about kids putting things up their nose and having to go to the hospital to get it out. If we never allow anyone to tell the stories maybe the younger ones won't do it :). However, Ally you have now given us an ingenious way to get things out in case another intelligent child with Carruth genes decides to do try it out.

Lindsey said...

you are kidding me!! now i know what to do if that ever happens. but seriously...hilarious (and not fun for a friday night!).

Breinholt Family said...

Been there with my oldest! But it was "old maids" you know the popcorn kernals that don't pop! And it wasn't just one it was about 6!! Glad everything came "out" ok!

McKay Missy and Boys said...

You know the funny thing is that my friend is a PA and had to do the same thing to her daughter. Her little girl thought it was so funny. I'm so sorry that you had a late night ER visit.